AutoFile: Automatically file automated email such as newsletters and notifications
AutoFile automatically moves incoming bulk messages - including newsletters, social networking notifications, shopping emails - to categorized folders. AutoFile comes pre-configured with filing rules for common automated email that are updated over time. You can also create your own AutoFile rules.
Each day, a Daily Digest is posted to the Inbox to show the messages that have been AutoFiled in the last day. This allows for efficient review of these messages.
AutoFile comes pre-configured with filing rules for common senders of automated email. These rules are updated over time as ClearContext users identify new senders. Create your own custom AutoFile rules in one of two ways:
- Highlight a message and press the AutoFile button on the toolbar
or select AutoFile from the ClearContext menu.
In the dialog that appears, choose the type of rule to create such as Sender or Subject, rule options such as a specific email (i.e. email@example.com) or a domain (i.e. bulksender.net). Multiple critieria can also be selected in the Multi tab, so for example you can file messages that match a sender with a specific subject.
Next, select the folder you would like to file to. All messages in the current folder that match your rule will be filed to the AutoFile Folder you selected. All future messages matching the rule will be filed as well.
A Delay Filing option is available if you want Inbox messages to be assigned to a Project but left in the Inbox for manual filing later. This option is only available for rules for a Project folder, and not for the special folders under ClearContext Autofiled.
- Click and drag a message onto a filing folder in the Sidebar to create your rule. As above, the AutoFile dialog will open to confirm your choices.
As soon as your AutoFile rule is created, it will be immediately applied to existing messages in your Inbox, and any future messages that arrive.The built in ClearContext AutoFile rules always file to the folders under ClearContext AutoFiled folders. Your custom rules can file to these AutoFile folders or any other filing folder you use with ClearContext.
See below for AutoFile rule configuration options.
The AutoFile tab on the ClearContext Sidebar provides a tool to view and manage these emails.
The top section of the AutoFile tab shows a count of all unread messages across all AutoFile folders:
- Click on Unread to view all AutoFiled, unread messages.
- Toggle the Filing Folder view between All Folders and folders with Unread only via Options.
- Select Options > Rules and Settings to configure AutoFile.
- Select Options > New Filing Folder to create a custom filing folder for use with AutoFile.
Open the AutoFile tab on the ClearContext Dashboard to see an unread count of messages filed by folder (Shopping, Social, Travel, etc.) :
- Click on a filing folder to see unread, AutoFiled messages in that folder.
- Double-click a filing folder to open that folder.
- Click the check mark on the filing folder to mark all messages in the folder as read.
- Right click a folder to disable/enable filing to it. Open View AutoFile Folder Rules from the right click menu to manage the filing rules for the folder.
The message list at the bottom of AutoFile tab shows all unread email for the chosen folder. Messages are grouped by sender. You can act on individual messages via the Actions or right-click menus:
- Mark Read messages that you no longer wish to see in the list.
- Delete messages that you do not want to keep.
- Select Actions > Jump to Folder to open the folder that contains the current message.
- Select Stop Filing for messages that you no longer want to AutoFile.
Open ClearContext > Options > AutoFile to configure the service. The following options are available:
- Enable AutoFile message filing turns AutoFile on/off.
- Create Daily Digest message in Inbox directs ClearContext to place a summary of all AutoFiled messages in the Inbox once/day.
- Check Allow automatic updating and sharing of rules to periodically download new AutoFile rules for automated senders. When enabled, this will send the custom AutoFile rules that you create to ClearContext so that new bulk senders can be identified.
- Move AutoFiled message to mail file: select the mail file in which the AutoFile folders are located and where AutoFiled messages will be moved.
- Enable/Disable individual filing folders in the bottom half of the options dialog.
- Double-click a filing folder or highlight and click Open Details to see the rules designated for the selected folder. Turn off individual rules from this dialog.
- Highlight a filing folder and click Change Name to rename a filing folder.
- Press Apply to Inbox to apply all currently enabled AutoFile rules to your Inbox. This is especially useful after an AutoFile rule update.