Detail Dashboard: Manage Projects and Categories in Microsoft Outlook
The Detail Dashboard displays all notes, tasks, appointments, contacts, and attachments by Project or by Context Category.
There are several ways to open a Project in the Detail Dashboard:
- Double-click a Project name in the Summary Dashboard.
- Navigate to a Project folder in Outlook and then click on the Detail tab in the sidebar.
- From the Detail tab, click on name of the current Project/Folder with the down arrow. From the menu that appears, select from a list of favorite projects or click Open Project to open the Project selector.
Once open, the Project Detail view is divided into three sections that can be navigated via the button bar underneath the tabs - Project , Files and Contacts.
Add notes to the project and view all of your project-related tasks and appointments in the Project Summary. This section is available for Project folders, but is not present in non-Project folders (such as the Inbox). There are three buttons across the top of this pane:
- Click the Favorite Icon to toggle favorite status on or off.
- Click on the Folder header to open menu with list of favorite Projects and other actions.
- Click the Jump Icon to navigate within Outlook to the Project folder.
Click Add Note in the Yellow bubble at the top of the Project Summary to add a note about the project:
- Use CTRL-ENTER to add a new line.
- Press ENTER to complete the note.
- Notes are listed in descending date order. Use the pin icon to pin notes to the top of the list.
- Click X to delete a note.
- Press the button with the arrows to the right of the Notes caption to print Notes or copy Notes to the clipboard
This section displays all Tasks and Appointments with the current Project assigned to them. Most of the options in this pane are the same as the Tasks/Appointments section of the Summary Dashboard. When adding a task from the Detail dashboard, by default the current Project or Category is assigned to the task. Select Include Sub-Projects from the Tasks/Appts menu to show tasks for the current project (i.e. MainProject) and all sub-projects of the current Project (i.e. MainProject/SubProject). The option to organize tasks by either Start Date or Due Date is available via Task Organization on the menu.
The Files section shows all attachments found in the messages that reside in the Project folder. For attachments that appear in more than one message, click the more button to see a list of all emails that contain the file.
Perform the following actions from within the Files pane:
- Double-click a file to open the most recent message to contain that attachment.
- Highlight message(s) and right click to open the message containing the attachment, open the attachment itself or forward or save the selected files.
- Sort the file listing by clicking the sort icon.
The Contacts pane shows all Contacts in the From: fields for messages that appear in the Messages pane. The colored contact icon indicates the assigned priority for the contact. For contacts that exist in the Outlook address book, click more to show additional contact details. For contacts that do not exist in the Outlook address book, click create to quickly add a record for the current sender.
Perform the following actions from within the Contacts pane:
- Double-click a contact to open the contact record. Adjust priority from here to improve Outlook prioritization.
- Highlight contact(s) and right click to email or set up an appointment with the group, export contacts to a file or create a distribution list.
- Sort the contact list by clicking the sort icon.
Open a Context Category in the detail dashboard by double-clicking a category name in the Summary Dashboard. The Detail Dashboard displays all tasks and appointments with the associated Context Category assigned to it (categories with a special character in front of the name - @, !, *, etc.). Most of the options in this pane are the same as the Tasks/Appointments section under Projects above. When launching QuickTasks from the Detail dashboard, by default the current Category is pre-selected in the quickTasks window. The option to organize tasks by either Start Date or Due Date is available via Task Organization on the menu.